13/07/2018

Cobra Kai


I didn’t hear about it until I stumbled on a review on Youtube. So as a fan of the karate Kid series, I went directly and watch the first 2 episodes which were available freely on Youtube. I wanted to continue the series so bad but Youtube RED (Youtube Premium now) wasn’t available at the time. So I had to wait a month or so for youtube Premium to be available in France. I signed for the trial period right away and watch all the episodes one after the other. I absolutely loved this show.



The show starts with Johnny having a job he absolutely hates and living in a small and dirty apartment in a poor neighborhood. Suddenly, his young neighbor, Miguel Diaz, gets attacked by a bunch of low life bullies and he comes to defend him. So obviously, Miguel asks him to teach him karate. After a little hesitation, he agrees and opens a dojo.

That reminds us of course of Daniel’s situation, only this time Miguel has Johnny Lawrence for teacher and not someone like Miyagi. The show will tell us how it affects this innocent boy to be taught the way of Cobra Kai.

I love that the show focuses more on Johnny Lawrence. It gives us a chance to learn more about him and what he became. The actor William Zabka is absolutely awesome. I loved his performance. Most of the performances are really good.

Johnny is the kind of anti-hero character that always screw up but, in some way, you always feel bad for him. I rooted for him. I wanted him to get his act and life together because it is so depressing in the beginning.

Daniel grew up to be a successful car salesman and has several shops at his name. The interesting thing is that the script is flipped and on the contrary of the karate kid movie when we were clearly rooting for Daniel, here we want to root for Johnny more.

The new cast also adds a lot to the show. I really enjoyed Xolo Maridueña’s performance as Miguel Diaz. He is kind of the new version of Daniel but he’s not taught the same philosophy which gives us an interesting character arc.

And the Cobra Kai crew was so fun to watch as they grow and evolve. In the begining, they are victims of bullying, shy, scared and they slowly become confident, stronger and ruthless.

It is a really nicely paced show. It never loses your attention. There is always something happening. Every episode is about thirty minutes or less and a lot happens. And the episodes always end with making us want more. And I can’t wait for next season which thank god is happening. I have plenty of questions as how the season 2 will go.

So like I said, I absolutely love this show and I kind of became a little obsessed by it. So I am happy that it is doing so well and that we get a season 2. That’s the kind of thing that as soon as I finished watching it the first time, I wanted to rewatch it. To be honest, I have already watched it twice. It stayed with me. I don’t know why I love it so much. Maybe it’s the nostalgia but it was a great show to watch even if it’s not the most original or genius concept. It was put together by writers who love this saga and we can see the love, the attention to details. Go watch it if you haven’t already. Weather you are a fan of the original karate kid or not, you will have fun with it anyway.     

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire